About Selah Reflections
Selah Reflections is about Pausing, Reflecting, Creating, and Growing. It's also about being a sojourner on a journey of finding stillness in the midst of life and sharing what is learned along the way.
Welcome to Selah Reflections!
My name is Marta Goertzen and I'm an entrepreneur, writer and nature photographer. The furry guy here in the picture with me is Bailey, my constant companion and reminder to get off the computer.
Through my writing (and guest writers), through photography, through books and journals we talk about:
- Caregiving: The struggles, the art, the gift and the demands of caring for those who need our time and attention.
- Getting Outdoors: How fresh air, walking the dog and exploring the world around you can make a huge impact on you, your family and your business.
- Self-Care: The importance of taking the time to get away to recharge, of taking care of yourself so you can take care of others.
- Inspiration: Sharing the beauty of nature, quotes or Bible verses that encourage and inspire you.
- Creativity: Learning how to nurture creativity, how creativity is expressed in different ways and how faith and art interconnect..
- Photography: Photo essays about adventures and showcasing the beauty of nature.
- The Bible: Lessons learning, verses that standout, memorizing scripture.
Want to join me on this adventure?
Sign-up here to become a Selah Reflections Insider.
A little big more about Marta...
In early 2008 I took a huge step in pursuing a long-held dream of starting a business. Although excited to start, more than anything, I was relieved – I was finally doing it!
As with most businesses, mine has morphed and changed over the years. What started out as a virtual assistance business has developed into my current adventure as a WordPress consultant and developer at Trail Guide WebWorks.
The Writer (& published author!)
As a kid I wrote stories and poems. As an adult I have journaled on and off, written hundreds of letters and over the years have started and stopped several blogs until finally, with Selah Reflections, something clicked. I'm finally learning to say "I'm a writer" through this blog.
- In 2013 I published my first Kindle book, "Be Still & Know That I Am God".
- In 2015 I finally published this book in print form - after years of trying. Exciting is hardly the word!! I also created a companion devotional journal to go with it.
- In 2018 I published "Choosing Gratitude: A Daily Quiet Time Journal", which has ended up being the start of a new Quiet Time Journal series..
I'm a creative who love to make things that do not necessarily involve a keyboard. My favorite hobby, photography, is a creative outlet that helps me see the world differently. It's an intentional way I can notice, preserve, and share the details I see through the lens of my camera.
Here are just a few things you should know about me:
- My Big Why - self-employment and writing has allowed me to not only pursue a big dream, it has allowed me be available for friends and family members who have needed increasing levels of help.
- I'm a sci-fi geek - if I call you a Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder or tell you I want to visit Middle Earth, now you know why :).
- I love the outdoors, camping, hiking, exploring... I try to get out for at least a short walk outside every day, it's important!
- Dark chocolate over milk chocolate.
- I'm a native Oregonian, born and raised in Oregon with a short 3-year stint in Canada while in grade school.
- 22 nieces and nephews - some by blood, some by marriage, and some by choice, including 2 great nephews!
- I have Fibromyalgia & Lyme: Not the worlds most fun combination!
Uhm, but what about Bailey?!
Bailey is a rescue dog who is my best bud, office mascot and my reminder to get outside as much as possible. He is a Border Collie, Something Something Something... a mix of different breeds. I hear all sorts of guesses and have many of my own but still not sure.
He LOVES the beach - salt water over fresh water. Loves long hikes, chasing Nutria and Squirrels. Is one of the laziest dogs I know and can be a bit of a wuss when he sees it's raining until he gets outside and starts playing, then he doesn't want to come back in.
Loves to run, hide and jump out of tall grass. Picky eater and allergic to chicken and grains but likes to try to eat crab off shells on the beach . Can scatter a flock of seagulls like no one else I know. Camera phobic - he knows when the camera is out. The above is one of only a handful of pics I have of him without his head lowered or turned to the side!
Hiking buddy, entertaining, and LOUD when he snores I can't imagine life without him 🙂